The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has said it is not responsible for matters of extradition, amid calls for the extradition of a former Minister of Petroleum, Diezani Alison-Madueke, to face charges of corruption.
Spokesperson to the EFCC, Wilson Uwajaren, who said this on Thursday was responding to the plan by the Charly Boy-led Concerned Nigerians Group to hold a sit-out at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja to demand the extradition of Alison-Madueke, who has been accused of corruption.
The EFCC has linked properties and cash running into billions of naira, which it says are the proceeds of corruption, to the former minister.
Based on its investigation, the commission has secured the forfeiture of some of the properties in court; earlier this month, a property on Banana Island worth $37m – linked to the minister – was forfeited.
More recently, on Tuesday, the Federal High Court in Lagos ordered an interim forfeiture of assets worth N2.6bn that were also linked to the former minister.
News of the latest forfeiture involved more than 50 houses in Lagos, Port Harcourt and the nation’s capital Abuja outraged many, including the Concerned Nigerians Group, which recently protested the absence of President Muhammadu Buhari, demanding he should resume or resign.
Although the many properties have been linked to the former minister, she is only a defendant in one of the cases.
As part of its investigation, the EFCC invited the former minister for questioning, but there has been no response from her.