IGP restates ban on SARS operatives from conducting stop and search raids

The Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, on Wednesday repeated his warning to Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) to stop indiscriminate search of citizens.

Idris reportedly issued the latest directive at a training organized for SARS operatives in Anambra State Wednesday afternoon through Amaechi Elumelu, the national coordinator of X-Squad.

Elumelu also reportedly warned officers to stop keeping suspects in perpetual custody without filing court charges, saying they now have a maximum of two days to take issues to court.

A few hours later, Idris announced full compliance with the directive, and distributed a guideline of its implementation. Idris again banned SARS personnel from conducting random search of citizens without strong grounds to do so, like on emergence basis or strong intelligence.

The announcement also said SARS had been changed to Federal-SARS, even though the department had always been addressed as F-SARS in official police statement and documents. The police also said the department had been moved from Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID) and domiciled under department of operations, again a claim that contradicted a statement they issued in early December 2017.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *