A human-rights group, Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP), have reacted to the Federal Government’s travel ban on 50 high-profile Nigerians describing it as illegal.
The group in a statement signed on Sunday by the Deputy Director, Timothy Adewale, said the order banning the alleged high-profile corrupt Nigerians from travelling abroad is arbitrary, repressive and illegal.
SERAP added that the travel ban rather than performing its declared objective of preventing dissipation of stolen assets would undermine the government’s expressed commitment to combat corruption and violate the country’s international human rights obligations.
SERAP in the statement noted further that the travel ban will also strain the government’s relationships with partner countries, on whom it will inevitably rely for vital asset recovery cooperation, undermining the effort to bring them closer.
The Federal Government had on Saturday banned 50 high-profile Nigeriansfrom travelling abroad following the implementation of the Executive Order 6 signed by President Muhammadu Buhari.
In a statement signed by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, the Federal Government said the 50 prominent personalities (whose names were not stated) had been placed on a watch-list and are, therefore, restricted from leaving the country pending the determination of their cases.