HEALTH care workers on Saturday advised government to abandon the planned home-based management of COVID-19 patients

Health care workers on Saturday advised the government to abandon the planned home-based management of COVID-19 patients in view of its potential capacity to trigger a spike in infections.

The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) and the National Association of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives (NANNM) said the government should live up to its responsibility of providing enough isolation centres to meet the overwhelming demand for treatment, instead of leaving it to households.

The Director-General, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, said last week that government was thinking about reviewing its protocol on institutional isolation and treatment of patients because available centres were overwhelmed.

Reacting to Ihekweazu’s statement on Saturday however, the President of the Nigerian Medical Association Dr Francis Faduyile, said the government could not afford to abdicate its responsibility in handling the COVID-19 pandemic.

He said the government must be able to arrange for a space that will be on a longer run, cheaper for individuals who are infected by COVID-19.

The President of the National Association of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives (NANNM), Abdurafiu Adeniji, described the home-treatment proposal as a danger signal

He said: “everyone must be aware and be more cautious in obeying the guidelines on prevention and stay at home.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *